Superintendent Portrait Presentation
Posted by Jessica Coston on 3/11/2020 1:30:00 PM
There is a long tradition in OCS of having portraits of our past superintendents on display in our front lobby. We are excited to announce another will soon be added.
Former OCS Superintendent Rick Stout’s retirement in January 2019 marked the end of a 32-year educational career serving students across the state of North Carolina. He spent nearly 12 years as a superintendent, including his last five years successfully leading the Onslow County School District.
In his time as an educator, Rick Stout worked as a teacher, coach, assistant principal, assistant superintendent of finance and human resources, and assistant superintendent of instruction and auxiliary services. In 2008, he became superintendent of the Scotland County School System in Laurinburg, NC, where he worked until being named OCS superintendent in January 2014.
During his tenure as OCS superintendent, Mr. Stout was an advocate for 21st century learning, presenting locally and nationally regarding technology innovation and the importance of early college partnerships. He was selected by the White House to be recognized as one of a hundred school superintendents leading the way for technology. He was nominated by his peers as president of his regional superintendent association, as well as being a recipient of the prestigious NC Lighthouse Award and the Golden Apple Award for technology.
In May 2017, Mr. Stout was selected as the Regional Superintendent of the Year by the Southeast Region Superintendents’ Council.
Rick Stout served as a leader for local, regional, state education issues, and on several national level boards and organizations focused on educational leadership and student opportunities. This includes the:
- League of Innovative Schools,
- Global Schools Network,
- North Carolina Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development Board,
- North Carolina Association of School Administrators,
- North Carolina Interstate Compact Board,
- Military Affairs Committee,
- Economic Development Board,
- The Innovative Project of North Carolina,
- Eastern North Carolina Workforce Development Board, and
- Served as the State Chair for Military Impacted Schools Association.
He has previously served as President of the North Carolina Association of School Administrators and as a member of the State Superintendent’s Advisory Committee.
As OCS superintendent, he was responsible for, or oversaw, several initiatives focused on addressing the continuous growth of the county, and providing opportunities for our students, including:
- Opening of the Onslow Virtual Academy in the spring of 2017,
- Overseeing the massive redistricting process approved by the BOE in January 2015 - after just coming on Board with OCS in winter of the previous school year,
- Opening of new facilities at Dixon Middle School and Richlands Elementary School, and transitioning K-3 Richlands Primary to K-5 Heritage Elementary,
- Working with our partners at Coastal Carolina Community College to open the Onslow Early College High School in August 2017, and
- Developing partnerships with state and local legislative leaders, neighboring school districts and business leaders on this amazing facility – the Eastern North Carolina Regional Skills Center, which opened for students this school year.
Most notably, Mr. Stout led OCS during recovery from the most unprecedented event to ever impact this county - Hurricane Florence.
Mr. Stout, we thank you for your service to OCS and our school community and look forward to having your portrait being displayed in our front lobby.
- November 2020
- October 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- August 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017