Get Involved. Stay Informed.
I am honored to serve the JCE staff, students and community as the JCE principal. And I am humbled to have been selected as the Onslow County Schools Principal of the Year! Such significant effort is made possible by the phenomenal group of colleagues who have so selflessly dedicated themselves to support the JCE community. As we continue to work together, not only will we steadily improve academic, social and emotional growth for our students, but we can also ensure that each child . . . each staff member . . . each volunteer. . . and each visitor enjoys productive and positive experiences every day at Jacksonville Commons Elementary School.
Perhaps you have an extra hour each week [or once a month . . . or from time-to-time] that you could spend reading with a student, practicing multiplication tables or spelling words with a small group of kids, helping a child build a PowerPoint, Skyping from another state or country to share global experiences, volunteering in the Media Center, updating a bulletin board, or giving a face-lift the school flower gardens and greenhouse. There’s plenty of ways for you to add value. Remember: the ongoing social, academic and emotional success of our kids relies heavily on the amazing network of parents, guardians and volunteers.
1) Sign up for the JCE Community 2019-20 Remind group (free app for your cell phone) to receive text messages containing quick updates, news and reminders about happenings at JCE. To get started, simply text the code: @jceco to the following cell phone number: 81010.
2) Visit the JCE website often to stay abreast of highlights, announcements, and information about upcoming events.
3) Daily, review your child’s Student Planner, teacher webpages, Class Dojo, PBIS Rewards, etc. to see homework, projects, and assignments -- and to see notes from the teacher and comments regarding school performance.
4) Sign up for the PowerSchool Parent Portal. In the Portal, you can view up-to-date information about your child’s grades and attendance.
5) Read the weekly JCE Parent Academy Newsletter. The short, easy-to-ready newsletter is designed specifically for busy families -- and it contains a list of upcoming events, highlights of things happening on campus, and resources to help you help your child at home.
Technology provides us with excellent tools to communicate and get up-to-date information. However, it doesn't replace good, old-fashioned, face-to-face contact. Let us know when you have a question, concern or idea. Call the school at 910/347-1056 to schedule a conference with your child's teacher or an appointment with administration. I also invite you to let us know when you are excited about the great things you see happening on campus.
Again, thanks for visiting our webpage today. Come back often.
-- Deb Hoffman, MBA, EdS
P.S. It's going to be a great year! Just watch -- or better yet, get involved. ;-)