Degrees and Certifications:
Welcome to Mrs. Houston's 2nd Grade Class
August 18, 2021
Dear Parents and Students,
Welcome Aboard, Me Mateys!! It is hard to believe we arrgh already starting a brand new school year. I am so excited to have you aboard Mrs. Houston’s 2nd grade class ship. We arrgh going to have a great year and learn what it means to work together as a crew!! As you can tell, we do have a pirate theme in our class. I graduated from ECU, home of the Pirates!
My name is Crystal Houston and I have been in the Onslow County school system for 23 years. I have taught Kindergarten for 5 years, 1st grade one year, and 2nd grade for 3 years. The math does not add up, I know. That is because I was a Teacher’s Assistant for 14 years.
I am a local to Richlands, attended all of the Richlands schools, and graduated from Richlands High School. I then attended Lenior Community College and transferred to ECU.
I married my high school sweetheart 29 years ago this November! I have two sons, Chase, who is soon to be 22, and Caleb, who is 17 and a senior in high school! Time surely does fly by!
Here is a quick rundown of important information for the upcoming year:
- Snack – It is a very long day! To keep our brains awake and working, we will have a snack daily. We do have a peanut allergy this year, so I ask that you do not send in snacks containing peanuts. I will not be providing snacks, so it is very important to remember to send in a snack daily.
- Water Bottles – We do have a water fountain in the classroom, but your child may bring in a water bottle. Please ensure your child’s water bottle has his/her first and last name on it as I will not be responsible for it. Please do not send in soda.
- Class Dojo- Please sign up for this ASAP. This is the class link: https://www.classdojo.com/invite/?c=CPSEMJQ You will also find a paper invitation in your child’s folder. This is how I will be communicating with you.
- Transportation Changes – All transportation changes MUST be in writing. We are unable to take transportation changes over the phone, through email, or ClassDojo. You may fax them to the front office at 910-324-7801. Please include the date, your child’s first and last name, the bus number and drop-off address listed on bus notes.
- Shoes – Students will be going outside for recess on days that we do not have PE (weather permitted). Please make sure your child is wearing appropriate shoes for PE days as well as recess days. The following days are assigned for PE: A-Day and F-Day.
- Behavior- My behavior chart is a ship. Each student has their name on a pirate clothes pin. Each day, students begin on deck (green) which means they are on deck and ready to learn. If a student continues an unacceptable behavior after being warned, they will move their pirate below deck to yellow where they will need to take time to think about their behavior and change it. If the unacceptable behavior continues, the student will move their name to the anchor which stops a ship. This should also stop an unacceptable behavior. If this does not stop the unacceptable behavior, then the student will move to red which means they must WALK THE PLANK! I will call parents to discuss the situation and schedule a conference if needed. Good behavior is expected and rewarded at the teacher’s discretion. Rewards and treasures will be awarded for good behavior. Students can move to the blue sail and the purple sail. Rewards should not be expected but strived for. As is the case with a true pirate, treasure is the reward for hard work!
- Please keep me updated with current working contact numbers along with several emergency contacts.
- School fees- can be paid online again this year or you can send them in labeled “Fees” which is $6. You may have accumulated outstanding fees from last year if you did not pay them. I will have the total.
- Computers- will be assigned again this year and there is a fee of $25 for it. Please charge computers each night.
- I am always here if you have any questions or concerns. Please do not hesitate to email me at email@example.com. or through Class Dojo. I look forward to a great school year!