• Transition Resources
    North Carolina Agencies / Non-Profits

    Autism Society of North Carolina
    Creates a community where people within the autism spectrum and their families receive respect, services and support based on individual needs, differences and preferences.

    Website: Autism Society of North Carolina
    Phone:  800-442-2762 (NC only) 919-743-0204 

    Address:  505 Oberlin Road, Suite 230, Raleigh, NC 27605
    Onslow County’s Resource Specialist:  Teresa Mebane
    Phone:  (910) 332-0261

    Carobell, Inc
    A community service provider dedicated to providing self-directed supports for individuals with intellectual developmental disabilities, empowering them to reach their fullest potential.
    Website:  Carobell
    Address: 198 Cinnamon Drive, Hubert Phone: (910)326-7600

    Easter Seals of North Carolina & Virginia/UCP
    Lifelong partners to individuals and families managing disabilities and mental health challenges whose services are centered around each person’s individual needs to live, learn and participate fully in his or her community.

    Website:  Easter Seals of NC/VA

    Easter Seals UCP - Child First
    The goal of Child First is to reach the most vulnerable young children and families at the earliest possible time and to intervene in the home to prevent and heal emotional and behavioral disturbances, developmental and learning problems and abuse and neglect. This is an evidenced-based approach that utilizes Child Parent Psychotherapy (CPP) as the model. Child First uses a two-pronged approach with a family resource partner who will decrease toxic stress by connecting children and families to needed community-based services and support. A Licensed Clinician will facilitate the development of a responsive, nurturing parent-child relationship that can protect the developing brain. Treatment lasts 6 months to a year average with the two-person team in the home at least once week for an hour. The goals include: to support and strengthen the relationship, using the relationship as a vehicle for restoring the child’s sense of safety, attachment, and appropriate affect to improve the child’s cognitive, behavioral, and social functioning. Over the course of treatment, the caregiver and child are guided to create a joint narrative of the psychological traumatic event and identify and address traumatic triggers that generate dysregulated behaviors and affect. Some of the Child First interventions include: play, unstructured developmental guidance, modeling, emotional support, case management supports, crisis intervention, and linking past to present. Pregnant women or Children 0-5 years and 11 months in which the child is showing difficult behaviors or delays in their development or learning. Married, partner, or single-parent families with many stressors (such as homelessness, drug use, domestic violence, poverty, school behaviors or involvement in the child welfare system).
    Website: UCP-Child First

    Address: 2801 Neuse Boulevard, New Bern, NC 28562
    Phone: (252)636-6007 ext 1362

    Onslow County Department of Social Services
    The Department of Social Services assists Onslow County’s citizens in meeting their basic daily living needs through financial, nutritional, and medical assistance. The department promotes the well-being of citizens through social work services to strengthen families, protective services to prevent or remedy abuse, neglect or exploitation of vulnerable children and disable or elderly adults. The Economic Services Division consists of Medicaid Programs, Food and Nutrition Services, Work First Employment Services, Work First Family Assistance, Program Integrity, and Emergency Assistance. To find more information regarding the programs, visit the website. To make a report of child abuse, neglect, or dependency please call the number listed above. Once a report is made an investigator will assess the allegation. If you are trying to make a report after hours on weekdays, weekends, or holidays, call 910.455.3113 and ask to speak with the on-call Emergency Duty Social Worker.

    Website:  Onslow County DSS
    Phone (910)989-0230

    Address: 1915 Onslow Drive Extension, Jacksonville

    Social Security Administration
    The Social Security and Supplemental Security Income disability programs are the largest of several Federal programs that provide assistance to people with disabilities.

    Website:  Social Security Administration
    New Bern Office:  1420 McCarthy Blvd.

    Phone: (800) 772-1213

    Trillium Health Resources
    Trillium Health Resources is a local governmental agency that manages mental health, substance use and intellectual/developmental disability services in a 24-county area in eastern North Carolina. Our responsibility is to connect individuals and families to the help they need when they need it. We are responsible for managing state and federally funded services for people who receive Medicaid, are uninsured or cannot afford services. Trillium does not provide direct care. Instead, we partner with agencies and licensed therapists in our Provider Network to offer services and supports to people in need in or near their own communities. We ensure the delivery of the right services, in the right amount, at the right time. We also work collaboratively with local nonprofits, other governmental agencies, medical providers, and hospitals to create a holistic system of total patient care that recognizes all needs of an individual.

    Website:  Trillium Health Resources
    Address: 165 Center St. Jacksonville, NC 28546

    Phone: Administrative and Business:  1-866-998-2597
    24 Hour Crisis Services and
    Service Enrollment:  1-877-685-2415

    Vocational Rehabilitation of Jacksonville
    The Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services (known to many simply as “VR”) provides counseling, training, education, transportation, job placement, assistive technology and other support services. These services are provided to people with physical, psychiatric or intellectual disabilities and to individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing or have other communicative disorders to assist them with living independently and with finding a job and staying on the job.

    Address: 39B Office Park Drive, Jacksonville
    Website:  NC Vocational Rehabilitation Services
    Phone: (910) 455-1445