Become a School Bus Driver
Bus Driver Virtual Training Classes
October 11-15 1, 2021
Register by October 1, 2021
October 2-29, 2021
Register by October 15, 2021
November 1-5, 2021
Register by October 22, 2021
November 15-19, 2021
Register by November 5, 2021
November 29 - Dec. 3, 2021
Register by November 19, 2021
December 13-17, 2021
Register by December 3, 2021
Application Process for Bus Drivers or Substitute Bus Drivers
Prior to applying for a Bus Driver or Substitute Bus Driver position, please review the mandatory NCDOT physical and legal requirements for the position as outlined in the North Carolina School Bus Handbook which is available at any Driver License Office or on-line at www.ncdot.gov/dmv/driver
1. Create an online "Bus Driver" application through this link: Bus Driver Online Application
2. A minimum of a High School Diploma or G.E.D. is required in order to be considered for hire as a Bus Driver with Onslow County Schools. You will need to scan and upload your HS diploma, GED with grades, or official transcripts to your application.
3. References require an active email address and will need to be professional only, please NO family or friends.
4. If you do not currently hold a NC Driver’s license you will need to obtain one before completing the application. You will also need to contact DMV for the state you were previously licensed and request a 3-5 year driving record, which will need to be scanned and uploaded with application.
5. If selected for an interview, we will contact you to set up a date and time.
- A pre-employment criminal background check will be performed. See the North Carolina School Bus Handbook for the legal requirements for the position.
6. Successfully complete the Bus Driver Licensing Class which is offered through the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV).
Contact the OCS Transportation Department at 910-455-5037, if you have any questions or problems.