What is the Global Innovation Showcase?
The Global Innovation Showcase is an annual event sponsored by Onslow County Schools. This event allows a student or group of students that has worked on a globally themed problem solving project the opportunity to showcase their research and findings with an authentic audience of peers, parents, educators, and community stakeholders.
How can I participate?
Students who would like to participate in the OCS Global Innovation Showcase must design a globally themed project that utilizes the steps for Project Based Learning outlined below. Interested students should contact the front office.
2017-18 Global Innovation Showcase
Date: April 17th
Time: 5-6:30 pm
Location: Northside High School
Steps for Designing a Globally Themed Problem Solving Project
1. Identify a concern, a desired change or a vision you wish to realize centered around the Big Idea or Concept (use a Driving Question to frame the problem; the driving question actively guides the individual or group throughout the project).
2. The driving question uses personalized words like I, we, or us—not “you” or “students”
-The driving question provokes group members to ask further questions
-The driving question is OPEN-ENDED
-The answer to the driving question is somewhat complex and leads to in-depth inquiry
-The driving question may be aligned with Common Core or Essential Standards
-The driving question requires group members to learn content and skills
-Driving Question Starter: “How can we, as (students, teachers, a school, citizens, community, stewards, scientists, etc.), plan/design/create/solve/make
3. Brainstorm causes and possible solutions
4. Develop a plan to address some part of the problem (or the whole problem)
5. Decide on a platform to share your transformation