Principal's Message September 16-20, 2019
Good Afternoon Parents, students, and staff,
This is Joycelyn Cassidy, Principal of SWMS, with our Colt call for the week of Sept 16 to Sept 20. Any information shared in this message will also be posted on the school website.
This is a reminder that all 7th graders must turn in an up to date immunization record with the required Tdap and Meningococcal vaccines documented.
Also, if you are a new student and this is the first time attending a North Carolina public school you will need to provide an up to date immunization record and a North Carolina Health Assessment. It must be on the North Carolina Health Assessment Form. This information must be provided within 30 calendar days of enrollment to avoid exclusion from school according to the North Carolina State Law. The exclusion date for Onslow County Schools is Wednesday, September 25, 2019.
Our first Early Release day is scheduled for Thursday, 9/19. Students will be released at 12:05. If your child is a car rider, transportation must be arranged for early pickup. Students will not be allowed to stay after school due to teachers participating in professional development.
The following message is in reference to athletic events that will be held at BMS. If it is your intent to attend any of the sporting events on base, you will need to secure a temporary base pass. A web application has been developed to expedite a new process to access the installation and attend an event. Information for this link has been provided to softball and football athletes and is posted on the school website. The link must be accessed for each different event.
The Jacksonville, NC Alumnae Chapter of DST Sorority would like to work with the students of SWM by implementing a mentoring program. The programs target 7-8 grade boys and girls from ages 11-14 separately. Monthly Saturday meetings will take place at SWM that focus on leadership skills, goal setting and social skills that are needed for students to be successful. If you are interested, please see Ms. M. Williams, the GC for more information and an application. The first meeting is scheduled for Oct 12, 10-12.
Parents due to damages or the non-return of 1:1 charger, some students must go without. If your child did not return their charger, they will not receive one until either the cost of the charger or the charger itself has been returned. Notices will be sent out next week.
Students interested in trying out for the Battle of the Books Team can stop by the media center to pick up the 2019-20 BOB List and begin reading.
Mark Your Calendar:
• On Monday 9/16 our softball team travels to BMS and on Wednesday, 9/18 we travel to NBMS. Start time for the both games are 4:00.
• On Tuesday, 9/17, we travel to BMS for football. Start time for the game is 6:00. Admission is $4.00.
• We have our Candy Man kickoff scheduled for Tuesday 9/17. The is a school wide fundraiser for SWM, so any and all support and participation will be appreciated. All orders are due by Oct 2.
• DC Parent Meeting on Thursday, Sept 19 @ 5:30 in the SWMS cafeteria. Please remember parents, this is not a school sponsored trip. Information and payment towards the trip are handled by an outside agency.
• An Academic Derby interest meeting is scheduled for Sept 25 immediately after school in room 201. Students must be picked up by 4:00.
Finally, please remember to review the student handbook, specifically the areas regarding dress code on page 16.
This ends our Colt Call for this week. Please remember, all information in this message will also be available on the school website.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend, goodbye!